Nothing, I mean NOTHING, replaces the deliciousness of bacon. However, this recipe for Banana Peel Bacon is pretty darn tasty, a great way to use organic banana peels, and packs a nutritional punch.
Banana peels contain high amounts of soluble and insoluble fiber, improving digestion and gut health while supporting healthy cholesterol levels. Banana peels also contain lutein, an antioxidant that boosts eye health. And banana peels are high in potassium which aids restorative rest, and the mood-boosting nutrient tryptophan.
Start with organic bananas and wash the peels before enjoying your bananas in one of my delicious banana recipes like Banana Cinnamon Bites, Banana Mug Muffin, Banana Gelato, or my most downloaded recipe, Spiced Banana Peel Sleep Tea.
Vegan Banana Peel Bacon Recipe
- 4 peels from very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Avocado oil spray or other spray oil
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Peel organic washed bananas, creating four strips from each banana. Slice top and bottom to create equal size strips removing the stem and base. Using a spoon, gently scrape the cream-colored pith from each peel.
- Combine the tamari, sugar, smoked paprika, onion, and garlic powder in a bowl. Add banana peels and let them marinate for 10-15 minutes.
- Place a baking rack over a foil-lined cookie sheet. Put banana peel strips on the baking rack, spraying both sides lightly with avocado oil spray.
- Bake for 10-20 minutes or until banana peels firm up and curl around the edges. Using a tablespoon of cooking oil, you can also pan fry the banana peels in a non-stick pan.
- Remove peels from the rack or oven and dry on paper towels.
Banana peel bacon keeps for a week in a sealed container and reheats beautifully. It also makes a fun addition to a Bloody Mary or Spiced Banana Peel Sleep Tea Toddy.