Sweet & Savory Zucchini Muffins
Moist and yummy these easy to make muffins are a perfect treat for snacking and gifting. I love that the batter keeps for several days making it easy to whip up a batch for weekend guests. Around the holidays I put the batter in pretty paper loaf pans and wrap I cellophane bag and pretty ribbon.
- 4 cups grated zucchini
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 4 cups organic whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup expeller pressed coconut oil or melted coconut oil
- 1 cup organic whole milk kefir
- 3/4 cup honey
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips - optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Place grated zucchini in a bowl and sprinkle with kosher salt. Mix well. After an hour squeeze out excess water placing zucchini in a strainer and gently pressing with a kitchen towel.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Beat eggs with a fork until well mixed, add coconut oil honey, vanilla and kefir. Combine well.
- Add egg mixture to bowl with dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Stir in zucchini and chocolate chips if desired.
- Spoon batter into greased muffin tin or tin liners.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.