Strawberry Jalapeño Salsa Fresca is so delicious you will find yourself making batches all summer long, and using it on everything.
The first time I served Strawberry Jalapeño Salsa Fresca, my guests asked me what sort of tomatoes I used in my salsa. When you use perfectly ripe strawberries this salsa is not only delicious, it is a gorgeous, deep pink-red color that tricks people into thinking it is made with tomatoes. Interestingly, the sweetness of the berries is tempered by the heat from the jalapeño peppers; so instead of being sweet and hot, this salsa is bold and refreshing.
I think fruit salsas are the bomb. The natural sugars of fruit in season, combined with citrus, aromatics and hot peppers, turns a dip into a next-level finishing sauce. Strawberry Jalapeño Salsa Fresca is perfect with grilled pork and grilled chicken. I also love to serve it with blue corn tortilla chips and sliced jicama to make a red, white and blue appetizer platter.
For an interesting dessert, leave out the onion, substitute mint for the cilantro and make a Spicy Strawberry Mint Salsa to serve over vanilla ice cream. You can also use it as the base for fun cocktails.
Strawberry Jalapeño Salsa Fresca is one of my all-time, favorite summer recipes.
Strawberry and Jalapeno Salsa Fresca Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries rinsed, greens removed and sliced in half
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 1 jalapeño pepper seeded and chopped
- 3 tbsp. fresh cilantro
- Juice from 1 lime
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Place red onion, jalapeño and cilantro in the bowl of a food processor and gently pulse to combine.
- Add strawberries and lime and pulse several times until well combined.
- Put mixture into a bowl and season with salt and pepper
- Serve with blue corn tortilla chips or your favorite chips
Looking for a warm salsa? Try my Bacon and Corn Salsa dip!