Kale, Radicchio and Butternut Squash Salad Recipe
I created this recipe to serve at The Inn At Little Washington with Barbara Crocker, my culinary, patron of the arts friend. We had the honor of being invited to cook family meal; the meal the staff eats together before the restaurant opens for dinner. Barb and I wanted something seasonal and colorful. This salad would make a perfect side to holiday meals; as it feeds the eye beautifully, but is also substantial enough to replace heavier vegetable sides.
Servings 6 people
- 1 tight head radicchio
- 2 bunches lacinato or Tuscan kale
- 1 butternut squash peeled seeded and cubed into small pieces
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh thyme leaved
- 1 lemon juiced
- 6 Tbsp. good quality olive oil plus extra for butternut squash
- salt and pepper to taste
- Remove the outer leaves from the radicchio and discard. Cut head of radicchio in half from top to bottom, remove solid piece of core from both sides. Tear into pieces and place in a salad bowl
- Wash kale and remove the leaves from the thick stalks. Tear kale leaves and slice into pieces. Add to radicchio in the bowl.
- Toss butternut squash with enough olive oil to lightly coat, add thyme leaves, salt and pepper and place butternut squash on a cookie sheet.
- Roast butternut squash in pre-heated 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through and beginning to brown.
- Whisk lemon juice, oil salt and pepper and make dressing. Pour some dressing over radicchio and kale and toss, let rest a few minutes
- Add 1 cup of roasted butternut squash to salad and toss. Add more dressing and salt and pepper to taste.