A lovely friend used to gift us the most delicious and decadent breakfast casserole at Christmas. Bill and I hosted many a Christmas Eve party, and it was a welcome addition to our holiday breakfast. It was also a loaded calorie bomb filled with cheese, cream, and bread.
I still crave that tasty treat, so I decided to lighten the recipe with some healthy swaps and big flavor. Spinach and Sausage Hash Brown Breakfast Bake is lovely hot out of the oven for Sunday brunch, but I enjoy having leftovers to heat up in the microwave for a quick weekday breakfast or lunch.
Sausage Hash Brown Breakfast Bake Recipe
- 1 lb ground pork sausage of choice
- 3/4 cup diced sweet bell pepper the color of your choice
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 12 oz bag of frozen root vegetable hash browns
- 1 bag frozen spinach thawed drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped dried sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 12 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a baking dish large enough for your ingredients.
- In a heavy skillet, saute the sausage until almost cooked and drain off the fat. Add onion and pepper to the pan and cook until vegetables begin to soften.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk, salt, pepper, cayenne, cheese, chopped spinach, sun-dried tomatoes and hash browns. Stir in sausage mixture blending well.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 30-40 minutes. Breakfast bake should feel firm, not loose. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.