From freezer to dinner plate in 30 minutes or less is my weeknight dinner goal. Good quality frozen shrimp and a jar of garam masala or other Indian spice simmer sauce make this a quick, easy and flavorful meal.
Spicy Ginger Shrimp and Spinach Recipe
- 1 jar Indian simmer sauce flavor of your choice or 1 tablespoon spice blend, like curry powder or garam masala.
- 8 oz chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 4 scallions sliced
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 pounds raw extra-large shrimp thawed if using frozen. You may use pre-cooked shrimp, adding them at the end to heat through.
- 1 bag baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Juice of half a lime
- Heat oil in a large deep-sided pan. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant. Add cherry tomatoes and stir until tomatoes begin to soften.
- Add a jar of simmer sauce or tablespoon of spice blend, add chicken stock. Stir well.
- Place shrimp in simmer sauce. If using raw shrimp, cook until pink.
- Stir in freshly grated ginger and add spinach, stirring until spinach begins to wilt into the sauce.
- If using cooked shrimp, add to the pot and stir.
- Heat until shrimp are cooked or warmed through. Add butter, stirring until melted. Stir in fresh lime juice.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Top with chopped mint and scallions and serve with rice.