I initially heard about using banana peels to make a tea that improves sleep when googling natural sleep remedies. I doubled down, researched, and discovered that banana peels contain potassium and magnesium, both of which are natural muscle relaxants. I am a big fan of taking magnesium at bedtime to improve sleep, and I love a steamy mug of tea to help me wind down. It would be perfect for making a tea that could improve my sleep.
The tea was ok made with banana peels, but it’s delicious when you add spices like cinnamon, cloves and allspice. It was so delicious that we began using it as the basis for several cocktails. My husband does not care for bananas, but he enjoys Spiced Banana Peel Sleep Tea. I have to give a shout-out to my friend Diana who is on Instagram @brandoestatemaui. She posted a gorgeous photo of her banana peel tea, and it inspired me to create this spiced version.
Spiced Banana Peel Sleep Tea
- 4 peels from organic bananas washed and scrubbed
- 4 cups of water
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tsp whole cloves
- 1 tsp whole allspice
- Place all ingredients in a lidded pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 2-4 hours.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Strain into jars and store in the refrigerator for two weeks.
- Use equal parts sleep tea, concentrate and water to make a cup of tea. Warm before serving.
Spiced Banana Peel Sleep Tea can be the basis for a yummy Hot Toddy or Hot Buttered Rum! If you don’t like a lot of spices, try my original Banana Peel Sleep Tea recipe.