Simple is best. Most of us don’t want to spend hours futzing about making food, but we enjoy delicious flavors and things that are easy to assemble. I love creating recipes that taste fantastic, are quick to assemble, and are healthy.
When I was in college, I spent a semester in Italy studying Italian. Italy stole my heart. The food, the art, the people, I loved it all. But if I am being honest, I mostly enjoyed the food.
This recipe was shared with me by friends of my parents when I visited them in Sorrento. They served the spread on a grilled piece of toast, crostini style. I like it that way, and also as a dip with tortilla or pita chips.
Roman White Bean Spread Recipe
- 1 15-19 oz can of Cannellini beans rinsed and well-drained
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil and more for garnish
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 large clove of garlic chopped
- 1/2 onion chopped
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh basil or herbs of choice coarsely chopped
- In a food processor, combine garlic, onion, lemon juice, and olive oil. Pulse in till very well combined.
- Add drained beans to the food processor and puree until smooth. Add herbs and pulse until they evenly fleck the bean puree, but do not turn it green.
- Serve as a dip and top with a drizzle of olive oil, fresh pepper, and herbs for garnish. Or spread on a toast round and top with fresh pepper and herbs.