This quick and tasty preparation of Napa cabbage makes a lovely nutritious side dish and also works well as part of a vegetarian meal.
Cabbage is often referred to as the ” king” of the cruciferous vegetable family; which also includes broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, radishes, kale and rutabaga. Cruciferous vegetables are nutritional power houses and are valued not only for their flavor, but for their impressive anti-cancer properties. One of the American Cancer Society’s key recommendations is to include regular consumption of cruciferous vegetables as part of a cancer prevention diet.
There are many reasons to love cabbage, so it is hard to just pick a few to highlight. Cabbage is a nutrient dense, low-calorie, high-fiber food that is an excellent source of many micronutrients, especially vitamin C, potassium, folic acid, vitamin B6, calcium, magnesium, manganese and biotin. Even more impressive, cabbage, as all members of the cruciferous family of vegetables, is a rich source of valuable phytochemical compounds known as glucosinolates. These phytochemical compounds increase the natural antioxidant defense mechanisms, and improve the body’s ability to detoxify and eliminate harmful hormones and toxins. The anti-cancer benefits of cabbage-family vegetables are cumulative; the more of them you eat, the more cancer resilient you become.
Heath benefits aside, cruciferous vegetables are delicious. This recipe was devised as a simple way to enjoy Napa cabbage with little preparation and cooking time. Most people find weeknight cooking to be the most challenging, and this is an easy way to get one of the healthiest vegetables on your plate – quick and delicious. I keep an extra jar of emulsified olive oil and garlic in my refrigerator at all times; it is good on everything, so whip up a big batch to have on hand.
I love serving oven roasted Napa cabbage with my Chili Powder Chicken Thighs; however, it is good with everything. During the summer, when outdoor grilling is in season, you can even prep the cabbage and cook it on a grill pan instead of in the oven. Once you try this simple, flavorful recipe you will be a cabbage fan, too.
Roasted Napa Cabbage with Garlic Recipe
- 1 head Napa cabbage rinsed well outer leaves removed and sliced into 4 vertical wedges
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 3 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 Tbs. chopped parsley
- coarse kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- chopped parsley for garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment or non-stick baking mat.
- In a blender or food processor combine olive oil, lemon zest, garlic and parsley. Blend until smooth.
- Gently brush both sides of cabbage with oil and garlic mixture and season with salt and pepper. Place cabbage cut side down on baking sheet.
- Bake in middle rack of oven for 10 minutes then gently turn cabbage so other cut side is on baking sheet, roast for 5 minutes more.
- Remove from oven and garnish with chopped parsley.
This hardworking food processor makes all of my recipes even easier. From salads to desserts it does it all. I have had mine for 20 years!
Disclosure: All of the products linked above are my recommendations. This is not a sponsored post by any brand but I may receive a commission on sales if you choose to purchase them.