Roast Spring Chicken Recipe
- 1 roasting chicken 2-4 pounds rinsed and patted dry inside and out
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary plus extra sprigs.
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons butter room temperature
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Half a lemon
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- **onion slices
- Preheat oven to 325 and place rack on middle shelf.
- Loosen the skin around the breast meat on the chicken up to the breastbone.
Mix butter, rosemary, garlic, and lemon zest together and spread mixture under the skin and over the breasts of the chicken. Rub the chicken all over with the lemon half. Both inside and out.
- Rub chicken with olive oil and sprinkle generously with salt & pepper inside and out. Place rosemary sprigs and lemon half in cavity.
Place chicken in roasting pan lined with onions slices, skin side up. Roast for 45 minutes. Basting occasionally.
- Increase heat to 375 and roast for 50 minutes more. Chicken should be golden brown.
- Let chicken rest for 15 minutes before serving.