Cranberry sauce gets a bad rap for adding more calories and sugar to one of the heaviest meals of the year.
A majority of people purchase cranberry sauce, and that’s a shame. Not only is it quick and easy to make a delicious cranberry sauce, but it can also be a healthy addition to many meals.
It takes minutes to assemble, you get to control the added sugar, and you can make it ahead and serve it later. I tested several versions and found this one satisfying and easy enough to make while I brewed a pot of coffee.
Quick Cranberry, Orange and Ginger Sauce
- 12 oz package of fresh organic cranberries rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp. freshly grated ginger root
- 1/4 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- Juice of 1/2 an orange
- Zest from 1/2 and orange
- In a saucepan, bring water and sugar to a boil.
- Add cranberries and simmer for 10 minutes until cranberries burst and soften. Remove from heat.
- Add grated ginger, thyme, orange juice and zest and stir to combine.
- Let cool at room temperature. Serve immediately or store in a container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- I love this with roasted turkey, chicken or pork. It is also delicious over ice cream or yogurt or used as a topping for my apple compote.