This simple recipe combines all the great flavors of fall into a bite-size, powerhouse of nutrition. Spices have long been prized for their medicinal benefits and healing properties. This recipe combines many potent spices together with high fiber pumpkin, flax seeds, oats and finishes off with anti-inflammatory, antioxidant cocoa powder.
I make a batch of these every couple of weeks and keep them in the refrigerator. They make an easy breakfast, or snack, on busy days when I am running around. Like all recipes, you can play with this and customize the flavors to suit your taste.
Pumpkin Spice Power Balls
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 tbs ground flaxseed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground mace
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup organic canned pumpkin puree
- 2 tbsp minced crystallized ginger
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- Combine all dry ingredients, except cocoa powder and pecans, in a bowl.
- Combine all wet ingredients together and mix well.
- Combine chopped pecans and cocoa powder in a small bowl.
- Using your hands mix the wet and dry ingredients together until sticky.
- The easiest method is to use a small ice cream ball scooper and scoop individual balls. You can also use 2 spoons.
- Drop balls into pecan and cocoa mixture, roll and coat.
- Store in air tight container in refrigerator. Balls keep for a week.