Prickly Pear Grill Sauce
- 1/2 cup Prickly Pear Puree 3 prickly pears halved and strained
- 1/2 cup unfiltered cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 large shallot or small onion chopped
- 1 clove smashed garlic
- Squirt of lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients except pear puree, lemon and salt and pepper to a small sauce pan and simmer over medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
Remove from heat and let rest 10 minutes.
Puree in food processor and return to sauce pan.
Add puree and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add squirt of lemon and salt & pepper to taste.
Prickly Pear has anti-inflammatory properties, is beneficial for digestion and has long been used as a homeopathic treatment for headaches and hangovers. Because it has tiny hard seeds, the best way to prepare it is by cutting in half and straining it through a sieve. The stunning and tasty pink juice can be used in cocktails, syrups and sauces. 1 pound of prickly pears will result in about a cup of strained puree. Brush on chicken or pork as a grill sauce.
This hardworking food processor makes all of my recipes even easier. From salads to desserts it does it all. I have had mine for 20 years!