Recipes where each herb and spice adds its own nutritional and medicinal properties are the best. When wellness and flavor meld, eating in ways that support optimal health becomes easy.
This unique soup has its roots in Persian cooking, takes minutes to assemble, and can be served hot or cold.
- 1 cup shelled raw or roasted pistachios
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 leek light green parts rinsed and chopped
- 1 large shallot chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tbsp rice flour or coconut flour
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- juice of 1/2 a fresh lime
- Ground cayenne
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a food processor, grind pistachios.
- Heat oil to medium in a heavy non-stick pan. Add leeks, shallot, and garlic, stirring until translucent. Add flour, stirring until well combined. Add stock and bring to a gentle boil.
- Add remaining ingredients, cover, and simmer over low heat for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add orange, lime juice, salt, cayenne, and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Serve hot or cold and garnish with fresh herbs and chopped pistachios.