A perfectly cooked beef tenderloin is delicious and flavorful and this beef tenderloin recipe will not disappoint! As a caterer, I prepared thousands of beef tenderloins and developed a simple cooking method that gets rave reviews every time. I love that tenderloin can be prepared ahead, then sliced right before serving. Add a little horseradish sauce, and your entree is complete.
Perfect Beef Tenderloin Recipe
- 1 4-6 lbs beef tenderloin cleaned and cut in half lengthwise.
- 2 tbsp room temperature butter
- 2 tbsp. Kosher salt
- 2 tsp coarsely ground pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Rub beef with butter.
- Combine salt, pepper, and garlic powder and rub all over the meat.
- Place beef on a wire rack over a cookie sheet and place in the refrigerator uncovered for 12-24 hours.
- Remove beef from the fridge and let it come to room temperature for one to two hours.
- Bake beef in preheated 425 degree oven for 25-30 minutes for medium rare. Test the thickest part of the meat with a thermometer; it should be 130-135 degrees. The temperature will rise a few more degrees while the meat rests.
- Remove beef from the oven and loosely tent it with foil while it sits and the juices redistribute for 20 minutes or longer.
I often make my beef tenderloin ahead of time and then slice and serve it at room temperature. Beef Tenderloin is delicious served with a simple horseradish sauce.