Kristen’s AM Super Smoothie
I like to front load my day with a smoothie that fills me up and is exploding with health benefits. I try to use organic everything if possible, you can fiddle with the recipe to suit your own taste, but remember that fruit has sugar in it, so the idea is to make it just sweet enough to be tasty. I make mine in a Vitamix Blender but you can use a NutriBullet or other strong blender. It is recommended to load the denser items, like fruit and ginger first and add leafy vegetables toward the top. You can prep all of your ingredients and have them ready for the week to make your mornings more efficient.
- 1/2 a lemon
- 1/2 cup frozen pineapple berries, mango, banana or other fruit
- 1/2 apple
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 1/2 ripe avocado or 3 tablespoons MCT or coconut oil
- 1 thumb size piece of fresh ginger or turmeric I scrub and don’t peel, peeling optional
- 2 cups dark leafy greens this can be raw baby spinach, if you choose kale or baby power greens pre-saute them to deactivate the goitrogens that can affect thyroid function.
- 2 tbsp chia seeds or ground flax seeds
- 2 tbsp Bobs Red Mill potato starch a fabulous prebiotic and it also helps to regulate insulin in the body.
- 2 cups filtered water organic unsweetened soy or almond milk or coconut water.
- 1 cup ice cubes
Blend well and enjoy your healthy morning!