These cookies remind me of my childhood. Buttery sugar cookies with golden edges and soft centers, one bite transports me to Christmas past.
As a wellness coach, I discourage consuming foods with added sugar. I also believe we can enjoy all foods in moderation, and it’s ok to treat yourself to a couple of homemade holiday cookies or whatever the splurge happens to be.
Holiday Sugar Cookie Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose organic flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup salted butter at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups organic granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon organic vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup colored large crystal sanding sugar or colored sprinkles
- Place rack in center of the oven and pre-heat to 350 degrees.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment or non-stick cooking mats.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt together in a small bowl.
- In an electric mixer, beat butter and granulated sugar 2-4 minutes until fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla mixing to combine.
- At low speed, add flour and mix until just combined.
- Form dough into walnut-sized balls and gently roll in colored sugar or sprinkles.
- Space cookies on the cookie sheet, leaving room for expansion.
- Bake 8 minutes, remove pan and bang gently on top of the stove. Place back in the oven and bake for 7 minutes more. Remove and bang on the stovetop again. Let cookies set for 10 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.
Holiday Sugar Cookies are perfect for Santa’s visit!