I love making healthy versions of foods that are notoriously naughty. Chicken wings done right deliver big on flavor, texture, and addictiveness without being fried or coated in sugar. The trick is to broil the chicken wings in the oven to get them super crispy, and then toss them in a sauce bursting with flavor. I like to top mine with chopped scallions, cilantro, and toasted sesame seeds. Grab some napkins and dig in!
Healthy Spicy Chicken Wings Recipe
- 4 pounds chicken wings I like Bell and Evans
- 1/4 cup virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/8 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp Soy sauce or tamari
- 4 scallions thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Preheat the broiler and set the rack in the center of the oven
- In a large bowl, toss chicken wings with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Place wings on a rack over a cookie sheet lined with foil and broil for 45 minutes, Turing wings twice to ensure they are cooked through and crisp.
- In a small saucepan, combine vinegar, red pepper flakes, and maple syrup. Simmer 1 minute.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and stir in soy sauce.
- In a large bowl, toss wings with syrup mixture, add herbs and toss. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and toss again before serving.