Ok, a little disclaimer here, this recipe was my grandmothers which I modified to make gluten-free, less sweet and equally delicious. It reminds me of my visits to Key Biscayne, Florida where my grandmother would always make a fresh loaf for me to enjoy during my stay. I added blueberries for juicy flavor and natural sweetness and increased the spices to compensate for the reduced sugar.
Gluten-Free Banana Blueberry Bread Recipe
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 8 oz salted butter at room temperature
- 2 large or 3 small ripe bananas
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon nut or oat milk
- 2 cups 1 to 1 gluten-free flour Bob’s Red Mill makes a good one
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch sea salt
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees
- Butter a 9 inch loaf pan
- Combine butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat until creamy and smooth.
- Add eggs to butter mixture one at a time, beating well after each to incorporate.
- Mash bananas in a bowl ( it helps to mush them in their skin first ) with nut milk and add to butter and egg mixture incorporating well.
- Combine remaining dry ingredients in a bowl and mix together well.
- Add dry ingredients to butter and egg mixture and gently mix to just combine the ingredients without over mixing the batter.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake in 325 oven for an hour or until a tester comes out clean.
- Cool loaf in pan for 20 minutes and then remove from pan to cool completely on a cookie rack.
- Slice and serve. I like mine toasted with a dab of butter from grass-fed cows.