My mother used to make a version of this recipe with more steps than I could bear when prepping dinner. I took a good look at the ingredients, added corn, and simplified by combining ingredients in ways that made it quicker to assemble while keeping the same delicious texture and flavor.
Easy Zucchini Lasagna
- 2 medium size summer squash
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 large tomato diced
- 1/2 onion coarsely chopped
- 2 ears of corn off the cobb
- 8 oz sharp white cheddar cheese grated
- 1/2 cup sliced basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Lightly grease a pyrex or ceramic baking dish large enough to hold the ingredients with olive oil.
- Slice the summer squash and zucchini into 1/2-inch thick rounds
- Combine corn kernels, onion, tomato, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- Tightly place a layer of zucchini and squash on the bottom of the baking dish, then scoop 1/3 of the corn and her mixture on top, followed by a layer of cheese.
- Continue to layer the ingredients in this order finishing with cheese as the top layer.
- Bake in the middle of the preheated oven for an hour to an hour and a half or until vegetables are tender, cheese is golden, and juices are bubbly.
- Let rest for 15 minutes before serving