Curried Swiss Chard Stem Pickles
- Stems from 2 bunches of swiss chard trimmed and in 4” lengths
- 1 cup white wine vinegar or white balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 smashed cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoons Madras curry
Blanch the stems for one minute in boiling water or microwave on high for 40 seconds. Place in cold water to chill.
Heat all remaining ingredients and bring to a gentle boil. Turn heat off and cool.
Place dried chard stems in a glass jar.
Pour warm ( not hot ) brine into jar, covering chard stems completely.
Cool completely, then put lid on jar and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
When I get my swiss chard home from the store I immediately soak it, remove and prepare the leaves for cooking, and trim the stems into roughly 4” lengths. This makes cooking the chard or pickling the stems a snap!