Curried Swiss Chard Stem Pickles
- Stems from 2 bunches of swiss chard trimmed and in 4” lengths
- 1 cup white wine vinegar or white balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 smashed cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoons Madras curry
- Blanch the stems for one minute in boiling water or microwave on high for 40 seconds. Place in cold water to chill.
- Heat all remaining ingredients and bring to a gentle boil. Turn heat off and cool.
- Place dried chard stems in a glass jar.
- Pour warm ( not hot ) brine into jar, covering chard stems completely.
- Cool completely, then put lid on jar and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
When I get my swiss chard home from the store I immediately soak it, remove and prepare the leaves for cooking, and trim the stems into roughly 4” lengths. This makes cooking the chard or pickling the stems a snap!