There is nothing but goodness in this recipe. Every ingredient is wellness boosting. Lentils are packed with protein, an excellent source of B vitamins and iron, and loaded with dietary fiber. Carrots, celery, onions, garlic, and kale are all nutrient superstars in their own right.
I love creating recipes that make it easy for anyone to whip up a healthy, delicious meal, even if they don’t think they like to cook. Curried Brown Lentil Soup With Kale is a tasty way to eat more plant-based foods and makes a hearty meatless meal. I also love the fact that most of the ingredients are pantry and crisper drawer staples.
Curried Brown Lentil Soup With Kale Recipe
- 2 cups brown lentils - rinsed and picked over
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 4 tablespoons white or yellow miso dissolved in 4 cups filtered water
- 4 cups filtered water for miso
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup chopped garlic
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 carrots sliced into quarter-inch rounds
- 1/2 bunch celery rinsed and sliced into half-inch pieces
- 2 cups diced canned tomatoes and liquid
- 1 cup wine of choice
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 cups Tuscan kale stemmed and chopped
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- Heat oil in a deep stockpot. Add carrots, celery, onions, and garlic, stirring until vegetables begin to soften.
- Add lentils to vegetables in the pot, stirring for 3 minutes.
- Add wine, stock, miso, tomatoes oregano, and bay leaf, bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer gently for an hour.
- After an hour, remove from heat and stir in kale and curry powder—season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Enjoy with a crusty loaf of bread and a crisp salad.