I am a butter junkie. I love butter and have been known to spread it on crackers and eat it like cheese. I get this from my mother, who also loved butter.
Cultured Kefir Butter
- 1- quart heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup plain whole-milk kefir
- 1 tsp flake sea salt
- Optional: Zest from orange & chopped fresh mint
- In a large glass bowl, combine the heavy cream and kefir. Cover with a clean towel fastened with a rubber band. Leave out on the counter overnight or until the cream thickens like sour cream.
- Once cream and kefir mixture thickens, refrigerate until chilled.
- Using a mixer or whisk whip the child cream mixture until it turns into whipped cream.
- Continue to beat until the mixture begins to separate. Once fully separated, drain the butter in a mesh strainer.
- Knead the butter on a smooth surface or cutting board. Work it like bread dough. At this point, you can add salt and other flavorings.
- Store in a butter holder or small crock.
Flavored cultured kefir butter makes a lovely host gift. I look for cute containers to gift the butter in, and always include the recipe.