It is common knowledge among my friends and family, that I think tequila is the perfect liquor. Tequila made from 100% blue agave contains agavins, a particular type of sugar found in tequila that actually has weight loss properties. Agavins have a less refined molecular structure that does not raise blood sugar levels, making it an excellent choice for healthier cocktails. There are even studies showing that tequila can break down dietary fat, and help to lower bad LDL cholesterol levels. Good news indeed!
I love this easy recipe for Cranberry Margaritas because it combines the health benefits of two of my favorite flavors, tequila and cranberries. Fresh cranberries are bursting with flavor, and low in calories with only 46 calories a cup raw. They are a great source of vitamin C, filled with valuable soluble and insoluble fiber, as well as being a good source of manganese and copper. Their vibrant crimson color means they are loaded with antioxidant pigments called anthocyanidins, which are powerful antioxidants that improve cardiovascular health, reduce inflammation and have antibacterial properties.
The cranberry compote, that serves as the basis for this cocktail, is easy to make. It can be used for margaritas, or as the refreshing basis for non-alcoholic sippers when combined with seltzer water. You can even use homemade cranberry sauce if you don’t want to make the compote. Although the recipe is simple, there are several steps. Please read the recipe through before starting; you can make the compote and rim salt ahead of time. Let’s get the party started!
Tequila made from 100% blue agave contains agavins, a particular type of sugar found in tequila that actually has weight loss properties.
- 3 cups fresh cranberries *Skewer extra cranberries on toothpicks for garnish
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 tbsp grated lemon zest
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
Nutmeg Rim Salt
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp finely grated lemon peel
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 lemon wedge
- 1 cup of ice
- 1 oz fresh lime juice
- 2 oz fresh orange juice
- 3 oz 100% blue agave blanco tequila
- 2 tbsp cranberry compote
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a sauce pan and simmer until cranberries burst and reduce to a thick compote.
- Stir zest and ginger into the compote. Set aside.
Nutmeg Rim Salt
- Combine all ingredients in a dish larger than the rim of the glasses you will be using.
- Use lemon wedge to moisten glass rims and dip into rim salt mixture.
- Combine all ingredients in a blender. Pour in glasses with rims dipped in the nutmeg rim salt. Garnish with cranberries on toothpicks and a lime wedge.