Chioggia Beet Carpaccio
Chioggia beets are absolutely shine in this stunning vegetable carpaccio. The Chioggia beet (pronounced kee-OH-gee-uh), originated in Northern Italy and is noted for its candy cane stripes. The Chioggia beet is sweeter and needs less cooking time than other beet varieties, it is delicious alone or as a colorful addition to soups and salads.
- 2 Chioggia beets gently scrubbed with greens and root tail removed.
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- Fresh lemon juice
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped chives
- 1 tsp Maldon sea salt & fresh pepper to taste
- With a sharp knife or mandolin slice the beets into paper thin rounds.
- Place beet slices and olive oil in a zipper plastic bag and let sit until ready to serve.
- Arrange beet slices on plate and squirt with lemon juice.
- Sprinkle with shallots, chives, salt & pepper.
- Serve with extra olive oil.