Chioggia Beet Carpaccio
Chioggia beets are absolutely shine in this stunning vegetable carpaccio. The Chioggia beet (pronounced kee-OH-gee-uh), originated in Northern Italy and is noted for its candy cane stripes. The Chioggia beet is sweeter than other beet varieties, it is delicious alone or as a colorful addition to soups and salads.
- 2 Chioggia beets gently scrubbed with greens and root tail removed.
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- Fresh lemon juice
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped chives
- 1 tsp Maldon sea salt & fresh pepper to taste
- With a sharp knife or mandolin slice the beets into paper thin rounds.
- Place beet slices and olive oil in a zipper plastic bag and let sit until ready to serve.
- Arrange beet slices on plate and squirt with lemon juice.
- Sprinkle with shallots, chives, salt & pepper.
- Serve with extra olive oil.