Carrot Top Pesto Recipe
This versatile pesto recipe can be used with carrot tops, radish leaves, beet greens or even celery leaves. You can mix it up and add parsley or other herbs too. The leaves and greens of many root vegetables are highly nutritious and very flavorful. Often the leaves are the most nutritious part of the plant and they end up in the trash.
- 2 cups of organic greens – carrot fronds beet greens, celery leaves, radish tops
- ¼ cup blanched almonds
- 2 cloves garlic
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese grated
- ⅔ cup olive oil
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- salt & pepper to taste
- Place nuts and garlic in a food processor and pulse until coarsely blended.
- Add the greens and cheese, pulsing until well blended
- With the food processor running add the olive oil and pepper flakes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- This is delicious over zoodles or other vegetable noodles and can be served hot or cold. I love it over grilled fish.
This pesto can be used as a dip, topping for meat or fish or as a traditional pesto on pasta.