Beets are rich in nitrates that can help lower high blood pressure. They are also rich in plant alkaloids and B vitamins. Their vibrant color means they are loaded with beneficial photo chemicals and other healthy nutrients.
The saying an apple a day keeps the doctor a way really has merit. Apples have anticancer, anti-inflammatory and cardiovascular health benefits. They aid in digestive support because they are loaded with fiber and also contribute to bone health. Apples help reduce high levels of C-reactive protein which is a contributing marker of inflammation.
Carrots have anticancer and cardiovascular benefits and are loaded with antioxidants. 1 cup of carrots provides more than 4 times the daily recommended serving of vitamin A!
Carrot, Beet & Apple Slaw with Cranberries
- 4 large carrots peeled and sliced into match sticks or grated
- 1 tart apple like Granny Smith, sliced into 1/4”strips
- 1 beet peeled and in julienne strips
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup dried unsweetened cranberries
- 1 tbsp minced mint
- 2 tablespoons slivered toasted almonds
- 5 tablespoons citrus juice. Can be a combination of orange lemon and lime I like 3 tbsp orange 1 tbsp lemon & 1 tbsp lime). Use what you have
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Combine onion, cranberries and 2 tablespoons orange juice in a bowl to combine.
- In a large bowl place broccoli, carrots and apple, add onion cranberry mixture.
- Combine remaining juices, olive oil and salt. Sprinkle over salad mixture tossing to combine.
- Top with toasted almonds.