I love mashed potatoes, but this buttery mashed cauliflower recipe is delicious too.
The trick is to get a gorgeous fresh head of cauliflower, cut and steam the pieces, and let them rest before mashing them.
This recipe can be prepared ahead of time and reheated before serving.
Buttery Mashed Cauliflower
- 1 large head of fresh cauliflower. I love golden cauliflower but you can use white or purple too.
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 oz fresh goat cheese
- 1/4 -1/2 cup half and half or vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp. Minced chives
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Break cauliflower into florets and cut stem pieces. Steam until cauliflower is tender. You can also use a microwave steamer.
- Let cauliflower rest. Combine garlic with half and half or stock and simmer gently.
- In 2 batches, place cauliflower in the bowl of a food processor, adding 1/4 cup of garlic liquid and 1 oz goat cheese, 1 tbsp butter, and puree until smooth.
- Combine two batches, add in chives and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with remaining 2 tbsp melted butter.
- It can be served immediately or baked 350 for 40 minutes until golden.
*If preparing ahead of time, bring to room temp before baking.