Broccoli Stem and Cauliflower Core Italian Salad Recipe
The following simple recipe is one of my favorites, the preparation is easy and the salad flavors are reminiscent of baby artichokes done in the Italian style.
- Peeled stems and cores from broccoli and/or cauliflower
- ½ a fresh lemon
- ¼ c shaved parmesan cheese
- Good quality extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Slice the stems and cores on a mandolin or slicer, thin as possible.
- Squeeze lemon over slices and toss.
- Add olive oil and toss.
- Add parmesan cheese and salt & pepper to taste.
- This is a delicious and impressive first course.
Most people simply break off the broccoli and cauliflower florets and toss the stems and cores. Big mistake. The stems and cores are not only delicious but have a similar nutrient content to the florets, so start using every tasty, nutritious part of broccoli and cauliflower.