The secrets to optimizing your health and happiness are contained in your little daily habits. Biohacking is how you create the conditions of life, to “hack” your body’s biology and create the best version of you.
Nothing complicated about wanting to get the most out of each day and deciding to design a life of passion and purpose.
Here are 10 daily habits to help you start biohacking your life.
Maximize the first 60-120 minutes after waking, and prepare to slay each day.
- Get out of bed when your alarm goes off. Letting yourself fall back to sleep undermines the body’s readiness to start the day. Don’t let your mind talk you out of getting up. Your brain wants to tell you just 5 more minutes, but that is the worst way to start your day. Pick a time to get up and stick with it.
- Rehydrate. During sleep, your body is fasting; the first thing you should do upon waking is break the fast with 8-12oz of room temperature water. This will help you re-hydrate, flush toxins, and stimulate the digestive system. Add the juice of half a lemon to boost health benefits and add vitamin C. Use a straw (glass or aluminum) to protect tooth enamel. Coffee and tea can wait!
- Take a probiotic. While you are drinking that warm lemon water, pop a probiotic. Probiotics are most effective when taken on an empty stomach. Look for a brand with at least 10 beneficial strains of bacteria and 10 billion CFU count.
- Eat more fiber. Fiber is necessary for removing toxins from the body and supporting optimal gut health. There are 2 kinds of fiber — soluble and insoluble. The body needs both, and you can jump start your day by incorporating things like steel cut oatmeal, chia seeds, ground raw flax seeds, and a variety of fruits and berries into your AM routine. Skip the dairy, sugar and gluten; which all have an opiate like effect on the brain. Rather, add more fiber-friendly, plant-based foods.
- Write it down. Spend 10 minutes writing down your creative thoughts, ideas, and goals. Just let it rip — hold nothing back; these are notes to you, from you. Take a few mindful minutes for yourself, and set your intentions for the day.
- Take a cold shower. The vagus nerve is the longest cranial nerve in the body, and controls the parasympathetic nervous system. It is connected to all the important stuff from your gut and heart to your sex organs. A cold shower, cold rinse at the end of your shower, or splashing your face with cold water, all help to stimulate the vagus nerve.
- Exercise like you mean it. Exercise is one of the most important things you can do to improve your health. Mix it up — take a dance class, get a trainer, go for a walk. Varying your routine maximizes the benefits. Be sure you are doing strength and balance training, as well as cardio and stretching. Be conscious to walk more, take the stairs, and look for everyday exercise opportunities.
- Drink more water. If you are not measuring your water, you are not drinking enough. Proper hydration helps the body flush toxins, benefits all the organs, and keeps your brain happy. Even being a little dehydrated can take your productivity level down, and signal your brain that you are hungry, when, in fact, you are actually thirsty.
- Have a daily food plan. Stop simply buying food, and start shopping for meals. Make a plan for the week that includes snacks and meals. Shop and prep on Sunday; understanding that weekday food is fuel and an essential tool for productivity, energy and health.
- Practice good sleep. Your room needs to be cold, dark and quiet. Turn the thermostat to 65, shut the shades, and get off your gadgets an hour before you want to fall asleep. Take a moment of gratitude and review your plan for tomorrow.
Take 30 minutes at the end of each day to review your accomplishments, set intentions for tomorrow, and prepare for restorative sleep.
You can customize your habits to create the life you want to live. Don’t be a slave to conditioned patterns of behavior. Bad habits hold you hostage in a body and brain that are not fully optimized and steal your joy. Simply decide to change and create a life by design, not by default.
Disclosure: All of the products linked above are my recommendations. This is not a sponsored post by any brand but I may receive a commission on sales if you choose to purchase them.