Breakfast, or the first food we consume after the fast that occurs during sleep, is the most important meal of the day because it is the fuel we use to power our body and brain. We want to make sure each day’s first meal contains fiber, fat, and protein, which are the trifecta of a healthy break-fast.
Bananas combined with eggs turn into breakfast deliciousness. I love hacks that satisfy morning sugar and gluten cravings, so you don’t even miss them. I took the “all over the internet” banana mug cupcake recipe and elevated it in texture and flavor. You can simply mix the eggs with the banana in the mug for the easiest recipe, but whisking the egg whites and folding them into the yolk banana mixture creates a soufflé like texture. Berries add more micronutrients and burst with a flavor reminiscent of warm blueberry muffins.
You can take this basic recipe and jazz it up in all sorts of ways. Adding cacao powder and a splash of vanilla extract makes it chocolaty. I like pomegranate seeds and orange zest for a citrusy flavor profile, and using apple pie spice with minced apples mimics apple muffins.
Banana Berry Microwave Mug Muffin
- 1 Organic Banana
- 1 Egg separated
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
- 6-10 berries
- If planning to use banana peel for sleep tea, wash bananas before peeling. Mush banana gently in the skin until soft. Careful to keep banana skin intact.
- Butter microwave-proof coffee mug.
- Separate the egg and place the yolk, banana, and cinnamon in the mug mixing well.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg white until soft peaks form.
- Fold banana egg yolk mixture into the bowl with whisked egg whites until well combined.
- Pour the banana egg mixture back into the buttered coffee mug.
- Microwave for 2 minutes on high, add in 30-second increments if needed. The muffin should be firm, not hard.
* Be careful center is HOT. Eat right out of the mug