When apples are at their peak, these individual apple pies (baked in the apple pie = baked right in the apple) are a delicious way to enjoy one of nature’s super fruits.
Apples have earned their reputation for helping to “keep the doctor away” for good reason. More than just a delicious fruit, studies show that apples pack powerful health benefits and can help to fight many chronic lifestyle diseases.
The high fiber in apples has been shown, over and over again, to improve cholesterol levels. The Standard American Diet is seriously lacking in fiber due to the excessive amount of processing that removes the valuable fiber from otherwise healthy foods. People who eat whole fruits and vegetables, as a part of a healthy diet, are less likely to develop high blood pressure, another benefit of eating apples. Apples are also loaded with the flavonoid quercetin. The combination of fiber and quercetin is associated with a reduced risk of stroke. Basically, apples are heart-healthy and delicious.
Other health benefits of apples include boosting brain health, helping to maintain a healthy weight, lowering the risk of Type 2 Diabetes and fighting cancer.
I love that this recipe not only makes satisfying, yummy, individual apple pies, it also cuts out necessary sugars, unnecessary gluten and adds the medicinal benefits of cinnamon and allspice. These darling little desserts can also be prepared ahead and warmed before serving.
Baked In The Apple Pie Recipe
When apples are at their peak, these individual apple pies (baked right in the apple) are a delicious way to enjoy one of nature’s super fruits.
- 1 pre-made gluten-free pie crust available at most grocery stores
- 2 firm tart apples like Granny Smith or Fuji
- 1 tbsp. almond flour
- 2 tsp. coconut sugar
- 1/2 fresh lemon juiced
- 2 tbsp. water
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1 egg white mixed
Preheat oven to 400
- Cut the top 1/4 of each apple. Using a melon baller, carefully remove the flesh from each remaining apple, being careful to create a cavity and not pierce the skin. Throw away any seeds and bits of core, and coarsely chop scooped out apple bits and flesh from the tops.
- In a small sauce pan combine apple pieces, lemon juice, maple syrup, spices and 2 tbs. water. Heat until bubbly and apple begins to soften, approximately 4 minutes.
- Divide cooked apple mixture between 2 prepared apples.
- Roll out pie crust. Using a circle cutter or knife, cut 2 circles of crust, large enough to cover the tops of the apples. Place 1 circle over each apple.
- Crimp edges of crust to each apple using a fork tines make a press pattern around the edge of each pie. Using a sharp knife make 4 little slits in a circle on the top center of each pie. Brush pie crusts with egg white and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Line baking dish with foil and grease. Place apples in dish, bake in center of 400 degree oven for 25 minutes, until crust is golden and apples are bubbly.