Eggs baked in avocado halves are the perfect make-ahead, healthy brunch or lunch dish.
Avocados offer up so much more than just healthy fats, they are a rich source of glutathione. Glutathione is a powerful antioxidant that helps cells prevent and reverse damage, and works with other antioxidants to help neutralize free-radicals before they can cause damage. I love it when my food is both delicious and healthy.
Besides being easy, visually pleasing and yummy, I love this recipe because it works well if you need to bake it ahead of time and serve it at room temperature. When we have company to our home in Maine, one of my favorite things to do is sneak downstairs early and get breakfast prepped and ready. I like to have it all set-up buffet style so my guests can come down stairs at their leisure and have the pleasure of a nice breakfast waiting for them. A big bowl of seasonal fruits and berries, fresh croissants from Standard Baking Company, baked avocado eggs, coffee ready to go, and a note from me saying to help themselves. Then I head out for a walk around the island before everyone is up and the day gets away from me.
Baked Avocado Eggs Recipe
- 2 avocados
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes – optional
- 1/4 cup of water
- Chopped parsley
- Sliced scallions or chives for garnishing-optional
- Whole grain bread or warm gluten-free tortillas for serving
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat to 400°F.
- Cut each avocado in half and remove the pit. Using a spoon or melon baller, scrape out the center of each halved avocado so that it is large enough to accommodate an egg. Squeeze lime juice over the avocados and season with salt, then place in a baking dish with a cover or rimmed dish sitting on a piece of foil large enough to wrap around dish and form a folded seal.
- Break an egg into the center of each avocado being careful to keep the yolks intact, sprinkle with salt, pepper and chili flakes. Add 1/4 cup of water to the dish.
- Cover or foil wrap eggs.
- Bake oven until whites are set and yolk is runny, about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven; if eggs are not set to your liking, pop under the broiler for a minute. Garnish with cilantro, scallions, and chilies and serve with tortillas.