This a magic marriage of chocolate and avocado that is as delicious as it is good for you. After tasting this, you would never guess that it is mostly avocado unless you were told. Avocado Dark Chocolate Mousse is a healthy addition to your dessert repertoire.
Avocados are a healthy fat that help to lower cholesterol and have anticancer properties. They are an excellent source of oleic acid which can lower bad cholesterol (LDL) and raise good cholesterol (HDL). Avocados have also been shown to destroy precancerous and cancerous cells. So finding ways to get avocados into your diet is a very good thing.
Dark Chocolate is an antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, good for cardiovascular health and linked to longevity. Dark chocolate contains flavonols that can help reduce the damage from heart attacks by preventing coronary artery disease, and also reduce blood pressure and insulin resistance. Dark chocolate not only tastes great, it is a delicious mood enhancer.
Avocado Dark Chocolate Mousse Recipe
- 1/2 a cup melted bittersweet dark chocolate
- 4 ripe avocados pitted and scooped out of skin
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Fresh raspberries
- Gently melt bittersweet chocolate in sauce pan over a pot of simmering hot water. 3-4 minutes till smooth and melted. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Place melted chocolate and all other ingredients except raspberries into the bowl of a food processor and pulse until completely smooth and incorporated.
- Spoon or pipe mousse into 6-8 individual serving bowls or glasses, and chill for 4 to 24 hours.
- Before serving garnish with fresh berries and a sprig of mint.
I like to serve this in martini or wine glasses for dramatic presentation. The mousse is more dense than traditional mousse, so a little goes a long way in this super-rich, surprisingly delicious dessert. Another amazing avocado recipe you will LOVE for dessert is my Avocado and Lime Tarts!