Apple Berry Compote Breakfast Recipe
When I was a child, my grandparents often ate baked apples for breakfast. Now I know why. This simple recipe supports a healthy gut and fuels our body for a productive day. When the apple skin begins to shimmer during cooking, it is releasing pectin, a super nutrient that benefits and supports a healthy gut. Apple Compote with Berries is a great functional food recipe for healing and main-taining our intestinal microbiome, which is the home of our immune system.
- Serves 4-6
- 4 Organic apples
- Filtered Water
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Fresh or frozen blueberries
- *optional toppings include walnuts nut milk yogurt, or kefir.
- Wash apples; don’t remove the peel. If using non-organic apples, wash with vinegar and baking soda to remove pesticides.
- Cut and cube apples, disposing of the core and seeds.
- Place the apples in a small pot with a lid and add 1/3 cup filtered water
- Bring it to a boil and simmer for 8-10 mins. Add frozen of fresh berries in for the last 2 minutes of cooking.The skin of the apple should have a shimmer.
- Mix in ground cinnamon and serve topped with nuts, kefir or yogurt.