Antioxidant Asian Slaw
This easy slaw packs anti-inflammatory and antibacterial nutrients in a colorful and nutritionally dense package. This slaw does a great job of making you forget the mayo, yet it looks great and tastes better. The dressing adds to the nutritional benefits with miso and sesame. I suggest you make a double batch of the dressing, it is delicious on everything!
- 4 cups shredded Napa cabbage
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup thinly sliced bell pepper color of choice
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 2 tablespoons white or yellow miso
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar not sweet
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tsp brown sugar honey or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- Combine all slaw ingredients (except toasted sesame seeds) in a large bowl and toss.
- Combine all dressing ingredients in small bowl and whisk.
- Add 1/2 a cup dressing to slaw and toss well, add more dressing to taste.
- Top with toasted sesame seeds before serving.
Miso contributes to breast, bone and cardiovascular health as well as supporting the immune system and joint health.
Cilantro is an herb that has long been valued for its health benefits. It has anticancer, antioxidant and antimicrobial properties as well as helping to lower cholesterol and support liver health.
Cabbage is a great value given its powerful anticancer and liver strengthening benefits.
Bell Pepper is a super star antioxidant loaded with vitamin C and packed with other antioxidants like Vitamin A, and folate.