The beet belongs to the same family of vegetables and chard and spinach. Beets are a double nutrient powerhouse, you can eat both the greens and the root.
Here are 5 reasons you should be eating more beets:
- The beet greens are higher in nutritional value than the roots, with high amounts of calcium iron, and vitamins A and C.
- The beetroot is a excellent source of fiber, manganese, folic acid and potassium. Both are a good source of magnesium, phosphorous, iron and vitamin B 6.
- Beets have many medicinal uses and are especially beneficial for disorders of the liver because they help stimulate the detoxification processes.
- The pigment that gives beets their bright colors, especially the deep crimson, is betacyanin, known to be a powerful cancer-fighting agent.
- Beets are also loaded with beneficial fiber which has a positive effect on digestion and helps to lower cholesterol.